Thursday, August 02, 2007

Flashback Friday - 1984 Jumper

First things first - whether or not you left a comment, thank you to everyone for their prayers, thoughts and kind words regarding the bridge collapse in our city


There's been a bit of discussion lately regarding the return of the jumper. PatternReview had a lively discussion on the boards and Carolyn had an even better discussion on her blog after her post about jumpers.

I have already posted previously that I don't think the jumper look is for me. That wasn't always the case. Over the years I've had a number of jumpers in my professional wardrobe that I enjoyed wearing.

Don't believe me? Well here's your Flashback Friday proof (or Throwback Thursday if you read this early.) A 1984 photo of yours truly posing pretty (with the beginnings of the big hair, big earrings look) for a group shot for the company newsletter. The faces of my coworkers have been blurred to protect the innocent - although I'm pretty sure no one else was wearing a shapeless jumper.

Yes, of course I sewed the jumper and top. The jumper was McCall's 9213, c. 1984. Notice the boxy, no shape look to it?


I solved that problem by wearing the black, button front jumper with a narrow hip-slung belt to give that shapeless jumper some shape. I paired it with a cowl-neck knit top complete with wild black stripe and black peep toe pumps. Yeppers, I sure thought I was lookin' good when I wore that jumper.

So, what jumper is lurking in your past? Pin It

7 comments:

  1. Wow! You are very talented - and inspiring! I have a sewing machine that I need to get out and dust off! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Idk about jumpers Sharon....I'll withold judgement. Thanks for my baby's bd wish--and for loving my shoes!

    As far as 49 being a good age to be, hmmmm..idk, I'll take your word for it. And John's. Then I will let YOU know in nine years and two months. Disco anyone? (hehe). xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really, really cute. I've said it before, there were a lot of cute things in the 80's, and your photo is the proof.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mine is a beautiful grey cashmere, fitted, with a low (navel) V-neck, that I'd typically wear with a red wool challis blouse. Very smart - very vogue. I'll get a picture next time I'm visiting my Mom in London - where all my fancy clothes reside.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The jumper lurking in my past is the one hanging in my closet, sans hem. It was the first garment I made after returning to sewing after about a 12 year hiatus. I didn't know anything about fit the first time around and certainly nothing changed during my sewing break. I made the jumper out of corduroy and cursed the little bits of fiber that seemed to get everywhere. Then, when the jumper didn't fit in the bust I made some weird changes to the dart without any knowledge of what the heck I was doing. Almost 10 years later I am ashamed to admit the thing still hangs in my closet, unhemmed and unworn. It didn't fit then and sure doesn't fit now. Why is it still there?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cute! You totally worked the 80's!

    Jane, Pinks & Blues Girls

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had jumpers. But that was more recently. I had jumper dresses back in 1999 from JCPenney, and also denim jumpers.

    I am not sure it they are comming back since I have not seen it at the stores, but a coworker asked me if I owned a jumper pattern a few days ago. Is that a sign?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin