Saturday, August 18, 2007

Feeling Groovy - Simplicity 4699 Jacket

Remember this jacket? It was one of my UFO items that I finally completed last January.

I liked the jacket so much that I purchased a groovy retro look stretch twill already knowing it would become another version of this jacket.

And here it is! Love the retro print, love the colors, love the fit. I don't care that the pattern is from 2004 and that short boxy jackets are all the rage - I like this one.

I like it paired with a pair of pants as well as the slight flair that isn't evident when viewing the jacket from front.
I had a hard time deciding which buttons to add. Don't you like the convenience of a digital cameras? I do as I can take a photo of the buttons and then view the photo and color combo easily. I decided to add the square white buttons to mimic the squares and rectangles in the fabric. I also decided to eliminate the one button closure at the neckline as I have never worn my other jacket with that button closed.

The facing on my other jacket wants to flip out all the time, probably because it doesn't have buttons and buttonholes to hold the facing in place. So on this one I measured 3-1/2" in from the center front, lightly marked a chalk line and topstitched the facing in place.

I'll edit the post later to link the review at Patternreview when I complete it. Right now I have more exciting things to take care of....we're off to officially adopt our new puppy!

(Note: I purchased my fabric from FabricClub but I've seen it available at Gorgeous Things fabric also. With computer monitors it's difficult to tell if it that one has the same pink as mine or if it has more red tones.) Pin It

12 comments:

  1. I LOVE it! That jacket is so eyecatching, the print, the style, everything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the jacket, Sharon. The whole ensemble looks terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wayyyy groovy--this is groovier than groovy, Sharon! I seriously could wear this bad boy anywhere anytime! You're so good at picking fabrics for the patterns you have. And the button choice--farrrr out! xoxo

    PS--you def win on the labor hours, my gosh lady, you should STILL be resting, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is an awesome jacket! I love the colors and I don't even usually like anything pink.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is an awesome jacket. I made it last spring but LOVE yours so much betterh than mine. Your fabric rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohhh, I LOVE that jacket! The colors are great and the print is fabulous! I love a long jacket and have a pattern from Indygo Junction that I need to get made up. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that jacket and the way you put that whole ensemble together, it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nope, I don't remember the jacket. Isn't a good thing that we all have such short memories? I love it. I have some fabric to make a jacket similar to this in a pucciesque like fabric. I was going to use a New Look pattern, but I'll have to pull this one out and take a second look. I love the fitting detail in the back.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Sharon... LOVE the jacket!!! Looks like something that would be PERFECT for any occassion... I could so see it in a solid balck (with a bit of sheen) with rhinestone/fancey schmacey buttons for evening wear... I LOVE longer jackets... they are VERY figure friendly!!! Can't WAIT to hear of the newest addition... and what you will be calling her!!! Lala :o)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your jacket too! In fact I adore the entire outfit! I'm a big fan of wearing what jacket length suits you, not what fashion dictates. I'll take style over fashion any day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That jacket looks great. How is it that we have most of the same pattern stash? I have made the t in that pattern several times, fast, cute, easy - flattering. Now I'm gonna hafta make the jacket!!! g

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW I love that jacket, the fabric is just fab!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin