Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Trying to figure out theFBA for McCall's 5466

McCall's 5466 is the next dress I want to add to my wardrobe. Even though this is a new pattern from their fall collection, in the part of the country I live in I need to sew it now so I can get a few months of wear out of it before the cold winds blow in.

I'm having a bit of difficulty with the FBA. My first attempt (middle altered pattern piece) I enlarged the waist dart and rotated some of it into the neckline pleats. This added too much "poof" at the neckline.

Next I tried just enlarging the waist dart but that resulted in one dart that is too large.

I'm wondering if I'm going about this the right way? I'm going to pull out my copy of Fast Fit for Real People and see if I can find any guidance. Or maybe I just need to sew a muslin for the bodice and determine the alterations that way.

Has anyone else begun this pattern and if so did you need to do an FBA? Pin It

5 comments:

  1. Thoughts:

    Why did you think the waist dart was too large?

    What if you rotate some to a side dart?

    What if you make an armscye princess dart?

    In the middle photo it seems like you got more length above the bust. Maybe it'd be better to have that extra length below.

    You don't need more than 1/2" in there do you?

    On page 158 of Fast Fit....see how the bottom is angled back in on the left picture? Can you do that if you do the alteration inside or outside of the dart rather than through?

    I'll be interested in this....good luck and thanks for sharing your difficulties with us so we can all learn something from it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sharon, I found your site through the giveaway and I just love it. I love to sew myself and just wanted to let you know that I have added a link to your site on my blog. I hope that is OK with you! Can't wait to see the dress when you're finished!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sharon, I have this pattern but I haven't sewn it. If it were me (I need an FBA too) I'd do the standard Palmer/Pletsch FBA adding a side bust dart. I wouldn't try to rotate it anywhere as I think it would interupt the style.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yeahhhh the old FBA problem! Mmmmhmm. You know, Sharon, I'd give you the answer (sooo obvious to me, anyone else??). But that wouldn't help you to learn as you go. So I'm going to let you work this out in your head for yourself. Hope that helped.

    PS--I love that you cannot drink soda and read my blog at once. But you're a multi-tasker with talent; I think you can learn to read and sip. xo

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin