Saturday, July 14, 2007

Sewing Tag! ...and last call to enter the book giveway

Last call! Here's your final opportunity to sign up for a chance to win the new Low-Sew Boutique book. The book is filed with projects made from kitchen textiles and is sure to spark your own creativity! After reading her book, you'll never walk past a placemat again without wondering how you can transform it. Just leave a comment - today is the deadline and you have until 8 p.m. CST tonight. I'll draw a name and post the winner after that.

*********************************************************

Gaylen (G Marie Sews blog) tagged me to play sewing tag. If you're curious about my sewing habits, read on. If not, come back tomorrow as I'll post another skirt sewn with remnants using McCall's 5330.

1. What kind of seam ripper do you use?
Me and my seam rippers - we spent a lot of time together so I don't like to play favorites.

2. What do you use to snip threads at the sewing machine?
Whatever is handy. This time of year I work on most of my hand sewing outside on the patio and I usually forget to put my small scissors back where they belong, Usually the one pair I find is the black handled pair - the one that Sophia got a hold of and left her teeth marks in the plastic handle. I'm reminded of it every time I pick them up to use them.

3. What do you use to cut out patterns/fabric?
Scissors, although the other day I was cutting something out that was very long and tedious and I swore my next sewing purchase was going to be a large cutting mat so I could use my rotary cutter.

4. Do you stash zippers?
What do you think?

5. Which takes up more space in your stash - knits or wovens?
Wovens, mainly because I find it difficult to find good quality knits in colors or patterns that I like.

6. Are you wearing anything today that you made?
No, I'm sitting in my workout clothes as I just finished a 60 minute walk with Sophia. (Thanks to Gaylen as I became motivated to try and stick with my walks after her "Wanna Play?" post last May.)

7. Does anyone else in your family currently sew?
I think my sister Sue still sews and for a while she had a little business selling stuffed dogs and soft floppy hats. Hey Sue! I know you read this blog, so post a comment and let me know if you're still sewing. Now that I think about it, you should consider opening an Etsy shop (and start a blog!)

8. What is the $$ sewing-related (non-fabric) item you bought?I'm going to answer this question as the largest money-value non-fabric item I bought - and that, obviously, was my new Pfaff 2056. Which I love, love, love, love and love. It makes sewing so much more enjoyable.

9. Cutting out, pressing, hemming. Which one do you like the least?

  • I cut items out in one major cutting session with great disco tunes playing and I dance and cut all at the same time (after I make sure the window blinds are closed so the new neighbors don't think they moved next door to a crazy lady, although the cartwheels in the front yard might have given that away already.)
  • Pressing - there's something soothing about the way the iron tames the fabric. (And yes, I like to iron clothing also.)
  • That leaves hemming - which I hate, unless I can do it on the machine.

10. Do you have any non-chain garment fabric stores in your local area?

Yes, I have so many options for purchasing fabrics locally that you would think I could resist the temptation of Fabric Mart!

Now I don't know if want to play to or not, but if you do, I tag:
  • Vicki, even though her sewing focus is not clothing but beautiful quilts, I'm curious to hear her answers;
  • Ann because I'd love to spend a day (or more) inside her sewing studio;
  • Cindy Lou, because she has such cute reviews on PR and I'm hoping she'll update her blog more often;
  • Ruth, because the items she posts on her blog sooth me...I love her use of colors and her ability to reuse items;
  • and Stacey because she probably thought she was safe as this is a game of sewing tag, but I'm curious if she can even find her sewing space. (Girl, I know you sew because I found your blog when you posted a photo of a cocktail apron!)
  • Cheryl doesn't have a blog but she should start one. Then I could tag her too!
Have a great Saturday! I'm off to purchase more supplies to make more Library Reading Diva sashes for an upcoming parade. Pin It

6 comments:

  1. OK - I'll play along - I'll try to post mine tomorrow! I am totally jealous of your scissor collection!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love listening to DISCO too while sewing! AND one of my favorite things is ironing (which all my friends think is the strangest thing!) I love seeing your finished items and look forward to the skirt reveal! Wish I had more of a choice for fabrics... I live in a fabric challenged area... LOL... have fun at the sale! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sue (one of Sharon's sisters)10:04 PM

    Hi Sharon, in answer to your question, yes I do still sew (however am waiting until we move out of this tiny apartment into a place where I can set up my sewing machine again). So it may be a while before I set up, what is it you called it? An Etsy shop? Randy and I have a little webpage, although it's not really set up with anything yet, since I don't have anyplace to sew right now. And the name of the website comes from Randy's nickname for me! :-)
    Well that's about all I have to say for now, but one of these days, perhaps I will have a blog too! Take care, Sue.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Sharon...you. are. ON!!!!

    Mmmhmm, you're soo right, I didn't even read this to the end because I can't find my sewing room and thought I was SAFE!!! But....because Technorati is such a cool thing, it hit your tag, so I came back to finish the post. If I am able to get the doors unstuck and venture in....promise you won't roll on the ground laughing at my mess....you shouldn't anyway, there are tons of pins still in the carpeting from my last unfinished project. I'll let you know when it's ready....xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS--this will mean I may have to abandon my terribly insightful political post before it's even a day old, you must be special. You know I love it when I go political....and all my blogger friends comment all around that post but don't TOUCH that one, lol. (I'm bad)

    ReplyDelete
  6. A month later and I'm going to play along with the sewing tag game. Well, not tonight, but be watching in the next few days...

    :-)
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin