Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Butterick 4812 Summer Dress is Done!

This was the simple to sew summer dress that did not want to be created.

The fabric I choose for Butterick 4812 was a black linen/blend purchased a year ago from the clearance rack at Joann's. The fabric had small flowers scattered throughout that were only tacked down at the center of the flower. After prewashing the flower petals curled up, so I had to decide if I wanted to: 1) iron flowers after every wearing and laundering, 2) tack down all flower petals to the fabric, or 3) remove all flowers.

Flower

Guess which option one I choose?

FlowerSeamRipper

Because I had already done an FBA to the pattern, as well as cut out all five pattern pieces and fused interfacing onto the facing pieces, after work I was able to sit right down at my machine and begin to sew.

Wow, this is gonna be so easy I'm not gonna bother with the directions.

First things first, sew the side and waist darts in the front then waist darts in the back.

Oops! Realized that the midriff gathering was created by a casing and drawstring that are secured in place by the front waist darts. Remove the darts and add the casing.

Oops! Forgot to sew the buttonholes on the front of the dress for the drawstrings to go through. Remove casing and choose a fancy buttonhole from the buttonhole options on my machine.

Oops! Forgot to change the size of the buttonhole and the one I sewed was about two times larger than needed. Do you know how hard it is to remove a buttonhole sewn with black thread on black fabric? If you don't, I hope you never have to find out. Remove buttonhole and sew a new buttonhole.

Oops! I can't believe I just did it again! Yep, forgot to change the size of the buttonhole a second time! Aaaargh. Get out friendly seam ripper and rip it out - again. Go fix dinner and take a break.

After dinner two buttonholes in the size needed were added - no problem.

b4812 Tie closeup

Sewed and turned the two drawstrings - no problem.

Inserted an invisible zipper - no problem.

Sewed the side seams - no problem.

Serge finish the side seams - no problem.

Oops! The back shoulder seam got caught under the serger blade about one inch down with no way to fix the big cut.

Just when everything was going so well! Okay, okay, don't quit. Then you'll have to admit to the blog world that you gave up. See how incredibly encouraging you all are to me?

Think, think, think...what can I do? There really wasn't any solution except to cut the back and front shoulder seams off one inch. It actually worked out in my favor as the dress fits better this way.

The rest of the dress was sewn together with no further mishaps - then again, the only thing left to do was hem it.

Hemmed the dress - on the machine of course - tried it on and decided I'm quite pleased with the quick summer dress that didn't want to be created.

Surprisingly, it has a bit of a retro look to it. Even DH commented on the "retro fashion" (and I thought he didn't listen to me when I walked fashion!)

Even with all the oopsies the sewing time was under two hours.

b4812BlackLinen Pin It

10 comments:

  1. Great dress! Two hours sewing is a record to me!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Helloooo, Audrey. Whenever I skip directions these things always happen to me. But, look how well it turned out and still two hours of sewing! Loverlee.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tany - two hours is a record for you because you are so meticulous - I cut and dive in. That is why your each and every one of your creations are so lovely!

    Cidell - I thought of Audrey also when the dress was done! That's why I choose the costume pearls. And I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who has oops moments when sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice dress! I'm glad it came out well in spite of the mishaps.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad those frustrating little "sewing moments" don't only happen to me! Love the dress.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very pretty! The pearls look stunning with this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sharon, you're so funny....and STILL with all the opps' you're quite talented. Enjoy wearing this one--hope you post a photo of you in it soon. xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't believe you did that in 2 hours with all those "oops". Picking out the buttonholes alone would take me forever. Great dress.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sharon I have that pattern! Would love to see it on you as I'm really wondering if it will work for me. I can't believe you got it done so quickly. And thanks so much for posting your OPPS! g

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous8:21 PM

    Love the dress and can't wait to see it on you. As a beginner it's good to hear those who aren't beginner's also have Opps moments. Thanks
    Rubydarling

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin