Sunday, June 24, 2007

Is it true? Is fashion really headed back to "The Summer of Love"?

Let me begin by saying that I don't follow the emerging trends as closely as many others in the sewing and fashion blogosphere. In fact, I get much of my inspiration and fashion updates from reading all of the writings from those talented trend watchers.

The other day I was reading the Fashion & Style section of The New York Times and noted with interest the article "Another Summer of Love" by Ruth La Ferla. I'm not sure if you need to register to read the entire article or not, but basically it states that a fashion movement is underway - an urban hippie look.
In pockets of downtown Manhattan and in cities as far-flung as Miami and Los Angeles, young women in the vanguard are setting aside their trapeze and baby-doll dresses — and as often as not, their drainpipe jeans — in favor of a breezier, more audaciously colorful interpretation of boho chic. Their pavement-grazing frocks, bells and feathers, flares and cascading hair, recall the freedom that once was a hippie rallying cry, an invitation, quite literally, to go with the flow.

A departure from the structured shapes and rigorous geometry of the current ’60s wave, this look is blithely improvised, unencumbered and emphatically fluid. Which may be why, as temperatures spike, it is beginning to flourish at retail.
This article talks about the frugal and laid-back lifestyle of the hippies (in the 60's) as a rebellion against the "rapidly globalizing society." We currently are in the midst of the "green" movement and the refashioning trend has been underway for a few years now. In fact, there are a number of people where I work that are very interested in organizing a Swap-o-Rama. (More on that if planning becomes more than just "wouldn't that be a great idea?")

See how far behind I am on the trends? Didn't we just finish with the gypsy/boho hippie look? Or is this new hippie fashion trend going in a new direction? Guess I'll have to wait and see. In the meantime, I have a parade to attend so I'm going to go dress in my 80's inspired gown and transform myself into Princess D. Clown. Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin