Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Higher I.Q. for older siblings?

I love this new study that says the oldest siblings have a higher I.Q.! Can you tell where I fit into the birth order of my family - hee, hee! it must be true, after all I basically taught myself to sew at age eight :-) Okay, okay, you all know I'm joking right?

NY Times published an article yesterday about the study, Study on I.Q. Prompts Debate on Family Dynamics

The new findings, from a landmark study published Friday, showed that eldest children had a slight but significant edge in I.Q. — an average of three points over the closest sibling. And it found that the difference was not because of biological factors but the psychological interplay of parents and children.Predictably, the study set off a swarm of Internet commentary from parents, social scientists and others, speculating about what in families could enrich one child’s intellectual environment more than others'.

In my family, I'm certain my younger sisters must have had a higher I.Q than I because they saw me (older sister) get in trouble and quickly learned what to do to avoid the same fate, LOL!

Perhaps a study should be done proving that us sewing fanatics have a higher I.Q. Hmmm, wonder how I'd go about doing that...

My husband (youngest of five siblings), and I discussed it briefly coming to the conclusion that the study must have been done by an eldest sibling :-)

Pin It

6 comments:

  1. And I would believe it about sewing fanatics--one has to have a bit of geometry, math and deciphering skills! Gosh, you're a double high IQ'er given your birth order and passion!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I think the study is so true! ;) I'm the oldest of 4. Oldest and youngest seem to attract - DH is the youngest of 6. I've been telling my brothers for years (47 to be specific) that I am the smartest and they have willing allowed me to believe it's true!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tag You're it! I am tagging you to post seven random facts about yourself on your blog, and then tag seven other people. Have fun – or ignore it – your choice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am an oldest too. I think that in some ways, things are harder for the oldest child. Everything is new and unchartered. Take going to High School. for the oldest, it can be traumatic. for those that follow, they're already familiar with what HS is like, the environment there, even what to wear. Not only is everything the oldest does the first, but it's the first for the parents. So they are likely to screw up leaving the child to have to pick up some pieces.

    of course there are things hard about being the younger children. Living up to the accomplishments of the first would be my guess as one of the hardest. And getting the same amount of attention. After all, parents are often busy ooo-ing and ah-ing over what new thing the oldest is doing. By the time the next kid gets there it's old hat.

    But I wonder if being the oldest is more of an intellectual challenge. Just because they are alone for a time and have to figure things out.

    I think it'd be interesting if they did a study b/w siblings that have a lot of time b/w them versus those that are close. I thought I read once that if there are at least 5 years between them, they both have the benefits of being only children.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous12:41 PM

    I have read that the "best" marital match is between an eldest and youngest... although I married a middle child and could NOT even IMAGINE being married to my "Napoleon" like BIL...

    My children are 14 years apart... I have read that not only is a five year span considered "first born" but also "sex" too... so if you have a boy... first born boy... and then have a GIRL 2 years later she could exhibit first born tendencies b/c she is the first GIRL...

    I find the whole birth order thing very interesting...

    And I am pretty sure my IQ is higher than my younger (by 3 1/2 years) sibling's

    :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sharin, I don't know HOW you did this but woke up this morning to an email that I was back on TopMomma--(must have been a comp glitch, idk). So, there you have it, you really ARE super smart enough to keep me rolling. Don't let me down like that again, kk?

    Louie did indeed get his bed back. While I like the cats, Louie is MY baby and I won't let those meanie kitties push him around--until I get a photo that is, lol! xo Stacey

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin