Friday, June 29, 2007

Flashback Friday

Can you believe June is almost over? I swear I woke up yesterday and it was the beginning of the Memorial Day weekend and summer was looming ahead with promises of long, lazy, sun-shining days. (Shoot, now that old Brady Bunch song it running through my head "....it's a sunshine day..." - I bet it's running through your head now too!) Anyway, back to June, well actually it's almost July and the next holiday is rapidly approaching (and, ahem, this writer's birthday...)

When the calendar turns to that hot and steamy month of July what images are conjured up in your mind? Why, images of Christmas of course! After all, July is the month that the fabric stores start putting their Christmas and holiday fabrics on sale isn't it? The do it for all of those incredibly organized people who actually plan ahead. The rest of us just feel guilty that we are enjoying summer and not even thinking about the winter months. By the way, how do those incredibly organized people do it? And can they teach me how? Honestly, I've been known to to sew the final stitch on gifts on Christmas Eve, just minutes before we're scheduled to head out the door for the family festivities.

I wasn't always like that. There was a time in my life when I had time to plan ahead and sew beautiful gifts for Christmas.

Like the Christmas of 1972. I was 14 and my father asked me to sew a robe for my mother that he would give to her. You know, now that I think about it, he did always seem to give my mom some type of nightwear as a Christmas gift. It is pretty cool to know that my dad has always, and I mean always, been absolutely crazy about my mom. The man adores her. Even after 50 plus years of marriage. Isn't that sweet? Okay, I digress. Back to the Christmas story.

My dad and I set off together to find the perfect pattern and fabric for my mother's gift. We picked out a beautiful gold colored small ribbed corduroy with red roses printed on it for the robe and white ruffled lace to trim the neckline and sleeves and white frog closures to use instead of buttons.The pattern I used for the robe is long gone. I've tried to find it again on eBay for my sewing scrapbook but since I don't remember the company, the number, or the exact year it's a bit hard. I do remember that I used a size 10 pattern, probably chosen by the size my dad told me she wore in RTW.

That robe turned out so wonderful! My dad was so proud of me, for sewing it, and was so excited to give it to my mother. Unfortunately it was way too big on her. Way, way, way too big. My mom was one tiny lady and this was before I understood how pattern sizing worked. In retrospect I should have sewn the robe using a much smaller pattern size.

I was absolutely crushed that she would not be able to use the new robe. Not only because of all of the work I put into sewing it, but because I understood how tight money was and I felt that I had wasted my dad's hard-earned money. She was never able to wear the robe and no one seems to recall what happened to that robe. They probably donated it to a thrift store and didn't have the heart to tell me.
At least I have this great picture of my mother with her gift! Pin It

5 comments:

  1. What a great story! Too bad the robe never got worn, though it does look lovely in the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this story and the picture! What a wonderful memory!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This reminds me of so many such projects. Knitting a sweater for boyfriend with sleeves 10 inches too long comes to mind. What are we thinking sometimes? Do we even look at the garment?

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful, sweet story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a sweet story about the robe!

    thanks for the earworm...I'll pass it along to my co-worker who sings to me all the time!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin