Sunday, June 24, 2007

Dancing with my red shoes on

New red twirly skirt - check

Red shoes - check

White top with sequins - check

Someplace to go - uh, nope

All dressed up and no where to go. No place to twirl in my new red skirt. So I did the next best thing. Set my camera on the table and twirled and twirled and twirled to see what the camera would catch. Sophia decided it looked like fun so she joined me in a few shots.






That was fun! You should try it sometime!

Now, let me quickly review this skirt pattern for you. The skirt was sewn using McCall's 5274.

The construction wasn't complicated at all. The skirt consists of eight panels with a godet sewn in between each panel - like the skirt section of the dress from Simplicity 3877.

As usual, I substituted an invisible zipper in place of the centered zipper application. It might not have been the best idea this time because of how high the godets are on this skirt. An invisible zipper needs to be sewn in place before finishing the seam and that was almost impossible with this skirt. You can see in the photo below that the godet begins at the same place that the zipper ends.
The final step was to add a waistband and hem the skirt. The hem is a narrow machine hem. I was so afraid of making the waistband too tight that I ended up making it way too big! Even after trying the darn thing on and taking in a few of the panels seams. Which means I have to take the waistband off and redo it. But for now it's covered by my white tee.

Interesting to note that one of the suggested fabrics for this skirt was a novelty sheer - yet there are no instructions for lining or underlining the skirt. Now that could be interesting wouldn't you say?

Full review of the pattern can be read at Patternreview - click here. Pin It

15 comments:

  1. The skirt looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you would know to line! That skirt makes me want to go dancing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sharon, your post makes me smile! What fun to twirl and twirl, and it shows in your photos. You simply must find somewhere to go as I love your outfit. The shoes, the top and of course the skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great looking skirt! Like Cidell, it makes me want to sew one and sign up the DH and I for ballroom dancing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks lovely on you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your fun skirt. Really looks good on you. Sorry you had no place to go!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the skirt and the twirls. It looks so gorgeous on you. Now go make some dinner reservations at the nicest restaurant in town, and preferably one with a dance floor.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great outfit and it looks wonderful on you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a beautiful skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the skirt, the whole outfit, and your joy in twirling!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful! Very Marilyn Monroe-ish!! And the shoes are perfect, too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love it, you make it look good with your moves, lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. you are so cute! and you have cute legs too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for all the fun comments! I do love to twirl - it must be all those years of dance training when I was younger - it's buried inside and every once in a while it just pops out!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin