Saturday, June 23, 2007

Clowning for a Cure

Saturday morning.

6 a.m."Oh yeah, that's right it's Saturday, no work. I can go back to sleep."

6:30 a.m. "Hmmm, dog's stirring, maybe DH will get up and let her out if I pretend to still be sleeping."

6:35 a.m. "Good, it worked."

7:00 a.m. "Ah, nothing on the agenda today, maybe I'll sew."

7:15 a.m. "Oops, forgot about the clown thing I got going on today. What time was that thing anyway?"

7:20 am. "I better get out of bed soon. It takes me an hour to put my face on. Then I have to pick up the other clown and get to that place by 10 a.m. I better allow myself time to eat since I don't like the kids to see me eat when I'm in character."

7:25 a.m. "Okay, okay, just one more minute..."

7:26 a.m. "Why in the world did you volunteer to be a clown at such an early event?"

Then I remembered - I volunteered because it is for a great cause. A fund raiser for Muscular Dystrophy. Nothing special required of me. Just show up dressed as a clown. Smile to and talk with the kids. Maybe do some balloon animals.

You see, my sister's friend has two sons with MD and she asked if my father and I would be willing to volunteer as clowns at this event. Yes, you read that correctly... two sons with MD. Two identical twin boys with beautiful eyes and mischievous grins - typical of any twelve-year old boy wouldn't you say?

What the heck is a few hours of my time compared to someone who lives with MD 24/7? Honestly, this was one of the best fund raisers I've clowned at. The people at this event, both those attending and those volunteering, were so awesome! Full of energy, patience and kindness. They really believe in this cause and I'm so thankful I had the chance to be a part of it.

To learn more about muscular dystrophy visit the MDA website.


Pin It

2 comments:

  1. I had a brother that had Duchenne (sp) M.D. My mother was a carrier and when I was pregnant with my first child, I had to go through a great deal of genetic testing to find out if I too was a carrier so that I would know ahead of time if it was a worry for us. Luckily, I was not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:58 PM

    You are an amazing woman!! Thank you for doing all that you do
    Shorty

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin