Thursday, May 17, 2007

Simplicity 4196 Eyelet Skirt

Skirt number two for the skirt sew-along month is completed. The fabric is a rayon eyelet with a scalloped edge purchased last year at Hancock's.

This is an out of print pattern from Simplicity - 4196.

I had sewn this skirt last summer from a peach skin border print. It's not only comfortable but flattering as the fullness is attached to a yoke so it is not concentrated at the waistline.

Another very simple skirt to sew. There are only three pattern pieces - a front and back yoke and a skirt piece that is cut out twice. The bottom of the skirt is a straight line so it works well if you want to highlight a border printer or a fabric edging such as the eyelet fabric.

The only changes I made to the pattern were to add an invisible zipper,

and a full lining. The border print was a bit on the sheer side and the eyelet, well of course I needed a lining unless I wanted to play peek-a-boo.

Two skirts in the style are probably enough so the pattern may soon be retired from my sewing pattern stash. Pin It

7 comments:

  1. Wow, that border print skirt is fabulous! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute skirts! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've really struggled with using my eyelet because of the hemming. Great job. I am 100 percent in love with the print on the second. Wonderful usage!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know you didn't ask but I think you can do one more before you put it away. Make it from a solid color fabric and add some hem interest...3 skirts/3 different looks - no one the wiser! Priceless! BTW, I love both versions of the skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. And there it is - a perfect invisible zipper! I think with some practice I could get the hang of it. :o)

    I like the style of this skirt. Very pretty.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin