Sunday, May 06, 2007

Sewing Progress on McCalls 5330 Skirt

McCall's 5330 is a basic skirt pattern that everyone should consider adding to their sewing pattern collection. It is a good pattern to pull out when you're looking for an instant gratification sewing project.

With that said, I have to admit that I'm not quite done with the skirt. Turns out I didn't have any buttons in my stash that matched. I originally thought I'd use white buttons but uh, uh. The white was too bright against the silver gray color of the fabric. Not too much of a problem as I was able to stop into Joann's on my way home from church and found some silver gray that will work very well.

Hopefully in the next day or two I can find 30 minutes to make the buttonholes, sew on the buttons, and hang the completed skirt in my closet.

The next skirt on my list is from Simplicity 4196.

I made a border print skirt from this pattern last year and found it easy to sew and comfortable to wear. Because the bottom of the skirt pattern is a straight line it works well with fabrics that have edge details.

This version is using a rayon blend eyelet fabric that was purchased last year at Hancock Fabrics. The color is a variegated light teal with a scalloped edge that is being used along the hemline. Because of the large holes from the eyelet pattern this skirt will be lined.

MéLisa
commented that everyone seems to be sewing skirts this spring and that she had started a Sew What! Skirts sew along on Flickr. Umm, I tried to find it on Flickr, but didn't have much luck. If you're reading this and can direct me to the Sew What! Skirt sew along please leave a comment. I'd really like to see the cute and creative skirts that everyone sews.

Today ended up to be a good day to stay inside and sew as the wind has been fierce all day long. There are quite a few trees behind our property and many with dead limbs.

All day long we've been listening to the popping and cracking of limbs breaking free from the trees. At one point, both the dog and I jumped when we heard a very loud thud but we were unable to locate where the sound came from. When I went outside to check I see that our backyard is scattered with lots of little limbs but it doesn't appear that any large ones have hit the house.
Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Cute skirt - I love the material. I need to make myself wear more skirts this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try this link:
    http://www.flickr.com/groups/sewwhatskirts_sewalong/pool/

    I have both of those skirt patterns too, but have yet to use them. I'm glad you like them so much, it makes me want to make them more.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin