Sunday, May 20, 2007

Help! Help me decide what to do with this fabric

I love this fun summer cotton print! Unfortunately I only have 1-1/4 yards (45" wide) so I'm a bit limited on what I can do with it. I originally purchased the remnant with the intent of sewing a summer apron. But now I'm leaning towards a skirt. Yea, yea, yea, it may be a bit juvenile but oh gosh it would be fun to wear this as a skirt with a t-shirt and red sandals.

The fabric is 100% cotton with an off-white background and big red polka dots and ladybugs. Both the polka dots and ladybugs have a diameter of 5". It will need a lining or an inner-lining also as its too sheer to wear as is. Probably a cotton batiste.

I thought of sewing the skirt from Kwik-Sew 3337.

This skirt is shown on the cover of volume 4 of sew simple magazine (spring issue). Inside the magazine is a three page spread on creative variations using the skirt pattern, as well as a special offer to purchase the pattern for only $3.99.

Do you think this fabric would work with this skirt pattern or would it break up the print too much? I did a quick sketch of the skirt with the fabric. I thought I could do the two center front and center back panels with the ladybug fabric and the side panels and bottom band with a red cotton. Maybe cut out a ladybug or two and applique them along the bottom band.


I'm open to ideas and opinions. So what do you think? Would it work? Or do one of you ultra creative souls have some other suggestions for me? Pin It

11 comments:

  1. Sharon, I think this fabric would be adorable as a skirt! Please make one up. So, I *think* that means my vote is skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Henriette4:41 AM

    I think you should make a skirt too, but not in panels, as it will break up the pattern of the fabric...how about making McCalls 5431 with a contrasting band? I would even suggest making it in black instead of the obvious red....

    ReplyDelete
  3. How about a tote bag with red fabric trim from the fabric and a red skirt with some appliquéd lady bugs?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like that skirt (I got mine for $3.99 too!) but I think that you are right to think that print would be too chopped up with all those gores. I agree with Henriette about the McCalls 5431 would be good but also you might want to check out McCalls 5430 wrap skirt. There are only 3 pieces & you would get a wide expanse of your print that way, but now that I look at the pattern you won’t have enough fabric. Maybe look at ….(I am looking through the pattern binder….) Simp 4233 C (you could make the yoke a contrast color) orNew Look 6345 D (but longer & you could make the pockets from contrasting fabric to get the skirt in). I hope that helps. I will be curious to see what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I vote for burda 8677. I've made it a couple times, both with very "significantly" patterned fabric and I love it. (I didnt' bother with the belt loops) It makes up incredibly fast too.

    It'll be such a cute skirt. And with retro so trendy right now...and a pair of red canvas wedges, you'll be right in vogue!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sharon - Before I even finished reading your post I immediately thought of a sleeveless top like McCalls 2818. I don't know why, but I can see that as a top with some black to-the-knee shorts or even shorter. You could even where it a button down skirt in red or black, or pants or capris. Wow, the possibilities! It is a fun print.

    ReplyDelete
  7. when I first saw it I thought it would be an adorable apron or tote bag. Good luck with your decision! I love ladybugs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OOOh, that print screams skirt! I agree about the gores, though - I think that you'd cut up too much of the print. How about something like Favorite Things skirt or the new Amy Butler?

    ReplyDelete
  9. My vote is for the skirt too! I like the hem band idea! I pictureit as an A-line skirt with a red hem band!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think it would make a great skirt! I would also vote for more of an A-line rather than the gores. Have fun with it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sharon I have made that skirt up 4 times now and have plans for 2 more! I love that skirt. The only thing I did different (this would stop the huge pattern being broken) is to place the front panel on the center fold. I placed the top 5/8 in on the fold, and then let some of the center front gore hang out. It's great that way! Red band on the bottom, red waistband, red sandals and a cute tee, you're there! I say go for it!!! g

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin