Friday, May 11, 2007

Flashback Friday - Spring 1979

I was reading yet another article about the popularity surge in sewing. This particular article was focused on sewing for children and how mothers sew because they want special, one-of-a kind clothing for their children.

When I was busy sewing for my two little ones it was a decision based heavily on economics and practicality. I didn't have much money but I did know how to sew. And sew I did. Every night after I read them a story and tucked them into bed you would find me at my old green Kenmore sewing machine.

I really enjoyed sewing for those two. They were born less than a year apart and until they were about four years of age I would occasionally sew them matching brother and sister outfits. (Do people even do that anymore?)

When people would ask me if they were twins I learned to just smile and say "yes". It was much easier than dealing with the puzzled looks when I explained their age gap.

This pattern, McCall's 6407, was one of those TNT patterns that I used over and over and over. Those two had so many t-shirts and shorts from this pattern that people must have thought they wore uniforms.
My favorite was the jacket. I made my two little ones matching jackets out of a cotton fabric printed with little animals riding on bicycles. DD had a pink one with pink pants and DS had a blue one with blue pants.

I remember the sales clerk saying "you're kidding, right?" with just the raise of her eyebrow when I told her I was making a 2 -year -old and a 3 -year -old jackets from the fabric. In retrospect perhaps the print was a bit baby-ish, but so what? It was my time and money, I thought they looked adorable and they were too young to care.

I tried many times to get a picture of them together with their matching outfits but it just never happened. But I did manage to get a photo with at least one wearing their jacket.

DS is wearing his jacket and pants while DD is wearing a pastel striped multi-tiered jumper over a button front blouse with puffed sleeves and a lace trimmed peter pan collar. Did I sew it? Of course I did.

Oh, here's the link for the entire article about moms sewing for their children. Pin It

2 comments:

  1. It feels great to sew for your children, doesn't it? My daughter had the best wardrobe around when she was younger, (i.e. pre-adolescent!) And for my son I made lots of jackets and pants abounding with snaps and eyelets and pockets. I learned so much sewing for them. They're mostly past wanting those things now, though I suspect my daughter will come back to me come prom time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sewed alot for my kids, too. I saved every scrap. They're 20 and 22 now and I'm so glad I did. The baby books and photo albums are still largely trapped in my imagination, but from time to time, I browse through those scraps and all those little outfits come back to life!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin