Friday, May 18, 2007

Flashback Friday - May 1994

I grew up in a family of five children. Most of us had two (or more children) so my parents have grandchildren that range in age from early thirties to just beginning grade school. We are a family that likes to get together to celebrate family events - birthdays, baptisms, holidays, and of course school graduations.

Over the past decade there have been a lot of high school and college graduation parties. In just a few weeks one of my sisters will see her youngest graduate from high school. It's both exciting and interesting to watch your children and nieces and nephews grow from childhood into young adulthood.

This week I'm visiting 1994 and DD's high school graduation. Her graduation ceremony was an outdoor event. She had spotted me in the upper level of the bleacher's when the ceremony began but saw me walking down the bleacher stairs before she received her diploma. She later told me that she thought I was leaving and was very upset. I would have been too if I thought my mother wasn't staying to watch me graduate.

Well, of course I wasn't leaving. I had spotted some storm clouds rolling in fast and I was moving to find a sheltered spot where I could watch her graduate. This photo of the two of us was taken at her grandparent's home after we got caught in the burst of heavy rain that immediately followed the outdoor graduation ceremony. We may have gotten soaked but it didn't matter, my DD had just gone through a major milestone in her life. I sure was a proud mama that night!


I sewed both the dress and the jacket that I was wearing. We bought DD's as she was at a point in her life when she didn't want me to sew for her. My dress was a summer favorite from a Simplicity pattern. A simple button front dress with princess seams, a scoop neck, and cap sleeves sewn from a floral cotton print.

The jacket I've written about before. It was a cardigan style jacket sewn using Vogue 2687 that was released in the late 70s or early 80s. This was the first time I had used a decorative fabric edge at the hem. It was also the first time that the instructions in a pattern called for a self-bias edge finish (along the front edge) versus using purchased bias tape. Up until this point I didn't know that you could make your own bias tape!

I sewed every piece from that Vogue Basic Design but the jacket was the one item that became a staple in my wardrobe for over fifteen years.

With cotton eyelet fabrics gaining popularity again, maybe it's time to revisit this jacket pattern.
Pin It

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin