Friday, May 25, 2007

Flashback Friday - 1977

In honor of the 30th anniversary of Star Wars I'm traveling back to the year 1977. Since I don't have an incredibly awesome duro dress sewn from Darth Vador fabric, I'll share something else.

This is my sweet DD just barely a year old. She was such a tiny little thing and because she had been born so prematurely not only was she behind in her development but she looked much younger than she was. Ahhh, but look at that smile. Sheer happiness. Aren't baby's smiles just the sweetest thing ever?

She had a little bump on the bridge of her nose - hemangioma - that developed when she was a few months old and remained until she was about two. She was almost four years of age before my doctor admitted that when I first brought her to the clinic they thought they had a potential child abuse case on their hands. I was shocked that they would even think that! I was, and am, crazy in love with my kids and view them as a precious gift from God. Sure I had moments of frustration - what mother doesn't? - but I would never have taken it out on my children. When I think of that conversation today I am still shocked. I'm sure once they watched me interact with her they knew it was a medical condition and not an abuse situation.

The adorable little smock top she is wearing was sewn for her by her loving mama - me. This top, with its gathered sleeve cap, empire waist, ties in the back, and rick-rack trim would be quite fashionable for a toddler today.

Doesn't the background on the photo look a little bit like the desolate planet in the original Star Wars movie?

Oh, by the way, did you see these crocheted Yoda and Princess Leia on Flicker? I *did* mention that today is the 30th anniversary of Star Wars, right? Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the laugh! Those are adorable crocheted Star Wars pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She's adorable! I always love rick rack...which would look cute with the ladybugs by the way. Just a thought...imagine what those ladybugs would look like from 20 feet on you!...go with the apron or tote!

    I never never understood Star Wars...when it came out I was 13 or 14 and could not "get into it" thn. I do like the braid looking cinnamon buns on Princess Leighs head though!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin