Saturday, April 28, 2007

Retrorama was a blast!

Retrorama was advertised as "A Celebration of 50's Style"; a chance to indulge in a night of music, martinis and '50s-inspired fashion by local designers. And it did not disappoint.

My girlfriend and I arrived at the event just a few minutes before it was scheduled to begin. We noticed a few 50s cars in the parking lot, but mostly we observed all the wonderful vintage clothing being worn by the people arriving for the event.

As we made our way to the check in table we came across this display case with a few vintage hats, shoes and a wonderful old mink coat. It never even occurred to me that I could wear one of my vintage minks! Ah well, next time.

We registered and picked up a souvenir set of matches - oh so fifties. When we opened the matchbook we found, not matches, but a tiny notepad. What a cute idea - fifties with a modern day twist.
There were so many people and so much going on that it was hard to decide where to begin. On the main level a bartender was demonstrating classic cocktails from the 1950s. We weren't able to actually get close enough to see the demonstration, but we did pick up the handouts that listed not only the ingredients but a history of the drink.

I've never been much of a drinker so many of the drinks I had never even heard of let alone tasted: Moscow Mule, Dry Gin Martini, Sidecar, Mai Tai, and Tom Collins. The '50s hors deurs including cocktail weenies and devilled eggs.

We made our way to the second level where we viewed more clothing displays. Dresses, suits, lingerie, hats, shoes and gloves. I especially like the suit in the lower left corner of this photo. The ribbon is woven through bound buttonholes - gorgeous!

On that same level we wandered into an area where vintage clothing and accessories were being sold. We were given a little black gift bag that held a piece of black taffy and Slo poke candy, as well as a cloth tape measure with a "Vintage Clothing Sizing Card" designed to tuck into your wallet so you know what size you need when you're shopping for vintage clothing. I don't know about you, but I do typically carry a tape measure in my purse. I've used to measure pieces of furniture, window coverings, a remnant of fabric or trim and of course clothing in thrift stores.

We browsed for awhile and reminisced about items we remembered our mothers and grandmothers wearing. We were amazed at how popular this section was...and not just browsers! Seeing the prices of the vintage apparel reminded me, once again, how thankful I am that I know how to sew.

The second level also had a craft area where you could make a '50s tie or clutch...using duct tape, colored round office supply labels, and sheets of faux craft leather.

We opted to make a clutch. Red of course since we were both wearing black.

The third level was where the fashion show was held. I'll post the few photos I managed to take of the fashion show tomorrow. Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Wow.. That sounds like such a neat event to attend! Who hosted it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sharon ~ you look like you had a fantastic time! Love your clutch but really love the pic of the garments. Now how can we translate that into garments for today??? Very kewl!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin