Sunday, April 29, 2007

Retrorama - the fashion show pics

Grab a martini and take a seat while I respond to a few comments before we get to the fashion show.

Ariane asked who hosted Retrorama. I guess I forgot to mention that part! It was hosted by the Minnesota History Center. They already have another planned for November so I guess it was a success.

Carolyn was wondering how we (all us creative sewing souls) could incorporate some of the details into today's garments. I think that is partially what the designers were trying to do, but each designed and showed one garment only. However, after seeing the details on the vintage garments up close I have so many ideas running in my head that I don't know where to start!

One of the main reasons I wanted to go to Retrorama was to see the "'50s-inspired fashion by local designers." Five local designers were given access to the History Center's vintage apparel collection and each made one garment that used some element of the '50s.

My friend and I made our way to the third level 15 minutes before the show was scheduled to begin, but most of the seats were already taken. Meaning, we could see the show just fine but taking photos was a bit of a challenge.

The show began with a short film clip of local women in the 50s commenting on the current state of fashion. From the perspective of today, we all chuckled when one women on the film stated that the most flattering skirt length for all women was mid-calf. Another women on the film lamented the growing popularity of the "shorter skirts". That clip segued into a narration of fashion and life in the '50s complete with film clips of the era.

The first inspired gown was a day dress with a skirt made from men's ties. The men's ties represented the working uniform of the man of the house while the dress (complete with hot pink petticoat) represented the stay at home mother. This was my favorite.

That was followed by a skin-tight green satin cocktail dress accessorized with red shoes, gloves, purse and an incredible hat. The commentary talked about how the hats were a statement by themselves. And let me tell you, this model knew how to work it!

With a clip of Elizabeth Taylor in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof in the background the lingerie was modeled.

And of course the men were not forgotten. My photo does do justice to this outfit. The model is wearing a cobalt blue shirt with a brightly patterned tie and the back of the jacket has an applique design on it. And did you notice James Dean on the big screen in the background?

The last designer outfit was evening wear. This designer choose to use the silhouette of a '50s evening gown but used gorgeous silks and other luxurious fabrics to create a patchwork fabric. The back of the gown closed with a gold ribbon laced like a corset.

After the designer's garments were modeled anyone that was attending wearing vintage attire was invited on stage to model.

Oh how I wish I would have had time to complete my '50s dress! My one chance to be a model and I couldn't do it because I was attired in contemporary clothing (sob!)

Fashion Show Suit

Fashion Show couple

Fashion Show dress

Fashion Show Apron

There were many, many more people modeling their vintage clothing but it was too difficult for me to get photographs. I did manage to get a great photo after the show of the tie dress with the model and the designer.
FSTieDress

I hope you enjoye the show as much as we did!
Pin It

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous4:26 PM

    Wow! Jessica here from the Minnesota Historical Society. These images are great! We have a flickr page and we'd love it if you joined the RetroRama group and shared these photos! We might even use them as a flickr badge on our website. Glad you enjoyed the show!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin