Monday, April 09, 2007

Back to sewing after a busy Easter weekend

I hope you all had a blessed Easter. I love Easter and the joyous message of hope that the resurrection gives to us. Our weekend was a bit hectic as we busily prepared for Easter dinner. We hosted dinner this year with 16 guests - my side of the family and friends from church. We enjoyed dinner, visiting and the all important board games! It was fun, but exhausting.

Even Sophia, the spoiled Maltese, was too tired to do anything but sleep after all of our guests left.
Because I had taken Good Friday off from work I managed to squeeze in a teeny tiny bit of sewing time.

The cotton gingham dress with the pleated waistline treatment, Vogue 8353, is making progress. So far the most time consuming part was marking and hand basting the pleats. The dress is still in three pieces (two fronts and a back) and is pinned onto the dress form.

I put the dress aside to work on a top for my daughter. It is New Look 6678 and I'm sewing the view shown in pink on the envelope front. The fabric is a light blue cotton pique (with white daisies printed on it) from Hancock Fabrics. So easy to sew on. I was sure this would be done in just a few hours but after I sewed on the neckline banding, I decided she had better try it on before I went any further. The neckline band is quite narrow and on the dress form it appeared to sit nearly off of the shoulder. Sure enough, she tried it on Sunday and I'll need to remove the neck banding and cut a wider one before completing this spring top.

I still had time left for sewing, so I pulled out Simplicity 4412 (now OOP) and began work on a pink jacket for spring. I wish I hadn't waited so long to sew a jacket from this pattern as it is coming together nicely (and quickly). I just need to sew the sleeves in, hem the sleeves and jacket bottom, cover 1" buttons and add snaps.

Looking forward to this week's schedule it doesn't appear that there will be much time for sewing but I'm hopeful I can finish at least one of these projects by next weekend. Pin It

5 comments:

  1. I love the Vogue black gingham dress you are making! I would definitely make this dress if it was a style that I could pull off. I am eager to see the final creation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe how busy you've been!!!! I love the gingham dress - it's looking fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:29 PM

    I adore the pink jacket! Brilliant fabric. I wish I could do so well and so quickly. I've been sewing for about a year and still feel like an absolute beginner. But am constantly inspired by others like you. Brilliant blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A little sewing time...boy you sure managed to get a lot done in that little bit of time! :) Can't wait to see the finished garments - they all look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have accomplished a lot. Love the look of the black/white dress to be. This is going to look gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin