Sunday, March 18, 2007

Wearin' o' the green

Yea,yea I know. It was yesterday. Where o' where does the time go?

Do you have an annual routine for St. Patrick's Day? I do (and it doesn't involve green beer).
  1. Wake up and remember that it is St. Patrick's Day and I should wear green.
  2. Look in my closet for something green to wear.
  3. Remember that green and my skin coloring do not mix and I don't own anything green to wear.
  4. Tell myself that this will be the year I sew a green item of clothing so I will be prepared next year.
Yep, same routine every year. Didn't find anything green to wear in my closet this year either.

My grandmother sure loved St. Patrick's Day. (In fact, she loved anything Irish. One of my favorite childhood memories was listening to The Unicorn Song by the Irish Rovers. when it was my turn to spend the weekend at her house. She'd place the record on her stereo record player and we'd sing along at the top of our lungs. Poorly, I might add....well, at least my portion of the harmonies.) You can bet that she always had something green to wear on St. Patrick's Day.

My grandmother passed her love of Irish onto my mother. When St. Patrick's Day came around we were bundled up and sent to school wearing at least one item of clothing that was green. I never knew why, I just knew I was supposed to wear green.
At least this year I remembered to wear my grandmother's vintage green rhinestone horseshoe brooch along with her tiny shamrock earrings. Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin