Tuesday, March 13, 2007

I Love my Postal Carrier! Neither snow nor rain nor ...

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds. (History of the U.S. Postal Service from www.usps.com)

Or in our case, neither snow nor rain nor driveway swimming pools.

The warm pre-spring weather yesterday rapidly melted the piles of snow in our front yard. Unfortunately, the combination of the frozen ground and the poor slope of our driveway created a shallow swimming pool at the end of our driveway. It was deep enough that if I wanted to get the mail from the mailbox I had to decide between putting on boots or climbing over the melting snow piles in my heels. I choose to wait and let my husband get the mail when he got home - hee, hee!

Apparently it wasn't too deep for our mail carrier because there was the box of sewing books I won off of eBay on my front step when I arrived home from work.

I do like old sewing books. I find them fascinating. The typesetting, the illustrations, the photographs, and especially the sewing instructions.

This particular box of treasures held two books from the 1940s and three from the 1970s. I didn't know Betty Crocker had a sewing book, did you?

Speaking of sewing books. Have you visited G Marie Sews' blog yet to post a comment regarding your favorite sewing book(s)? I'm sure you have, but just in case you've forgotten, consider this a reminder. She is looking for suggestions for a friend of hers who wants to learn to sew.

My tried and true sewing reference book is Reader's Digest Complete Guide to Sewing. My copy was purchased at a second hand book store about ten years ago. I don't know how I got along without it as it is the first one I pull from my bookshelf when I need to look something up.

When I want a clear photograph of a technique, I pull out my The Complete Book of Sewing: A practical step-by-step guide to sewing techniques. This one is more basic and doesn't cover as much, but it can't be beat for the amount of photographs that accompany the text.

When it comes to sewing books on the topic of fitting I use four different books but Fit for Real People is usually the one I reach for first.

I have many, many more sewing related books. The bookshelf in my sewing room only holds the ones I reference on a semi-regular basis. The balance are housed elsewhere.

My other favorite sewing books are a story for another day. Pin It

7 comments:

  1. You own quite an impressive sewing library! I love vintage sewing books too; just a few days ago I received the "Clothing construction by Evelyn Mansfield" book, it's a wonderful sewing resource!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the comment, book suggestions and asking people to head over - I'm excited to see what Jess does with all this info (probably runs for the hills on overload!) g

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooo books! I love books. DH and I have joked about having to get a new house to hold all of our books.

    I have one vintage sewing book that I got from my grandmother. It had originally been given to my great-grandmother as a birthday present from one of her other children.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love vintage sewing books and magazines too! Now . . . I just need to wipe the dust off the sewing machine!

    PS - I let my husband get the mail too when the weather is cold and nasty - hee hee!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wowzer! that's a lot of books! :) I'm impressed.

    Can I come over for browsing the books?

    Kay

    ReplyDelete
  6. My mom used to use that Readers Digest sewing book! Blast from my past!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have the DK Sewing book which is fun to flip through. You're right - great pictures. When I look through sewing books, that's when I realize how little I know. :o)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin