Friday, March 09, 2007

Happy Belated International Women's Day

Did you do anything to celebrate International Women's Day (which was yesterday, March 8)?

A local organization that I am a member of held a makeup and toiletries drive for Ready for Success, a non-profit program that, in their words, "provides low-income women with new or gently-used professional clothing, accessories, and new personal care items suitable for job interviews and the workplace." I have until this evening to drop off my donation.

I was not familiar with International Women's Day until I received the notice for the makeup drive. I'm thankful that my member organization choose to remember the day and in such a way as to remind me how blessed I am to have not only have a job, but the ability to purchase the toiletries and makeup I want and to sew the clothing I wear.

In keeping with the sewing theme of this blog, here's a an article (first published in 2003) that discusses the women garment district workers in New York’s Lower East Side in the early 1900s and ties it into International Women's Day.

Read more about International Women's Day at http://www.internationalwomensday.com/. Pin It

1 comment:

  1. From one self-taught sewer to another....Swinging in for the party. Welcome. I am glad you could make it... Nice to meet ya

    I am having another party favor give away over at monkey giggles. Come on over when ya get a chance.

    PARTY ON...

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin