Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Sewing a tote from pattern Vogue 7563

Vogue 7563 tote sewing pattern

Vogue 7563 has been tucked into a plastic storage box for a year or so along with a piece of pink home dec fabric sprinkled with black and white poodles. With the stash reduction contest underway at Patternreview, it seemed like a good time to sew up this tote.

Fabric for Vogue 7563

While I was at it, I decided to make another one for a bag swap I joined. I pulled out numerous fabric combinations, and settled on a black/white /yellow because 1) the main fabrics were home dec, 2) after days and days of sub zero weather I am eagerly awaiting spring and these flowers remind me of springtime.

Fabric for Vogue 7563

After cutting out all of the pieces, I fused a heavyweight craft interfacing to the front, back and side panels.

Instead of turning the bias binding under 1/4" on one long edge and burning my fingertips in an attempt to iron it in place, I used a clover bias tape maker. If you haven't used them before you really should try them out. It is so easy to make bias tape with this tool! You just cut your bias strips twice the width of your finished bias tape and slide one end of the fabric into the bias tape maker. As the fabric is moved through the bias tape maker, the ends fold in and meet in the center. You follow along with your iron setting the folds in place. Super easy. I bought an entire set at a Sewing Expo from Homestead Specialties when she had a show special. (Note - I'm not affiliated with Homestead Specialties - just a satisfied customer as well as a friend!)

<span class=

The bias tape was used to finish the top edge of the pockets and was used as decorative trim in the side seams. The bright yellow helps the yellow in the flower on the pocket to really pop.

<span class=

The same yellow fabric was used as contrast on the under side of the handles.

<span class=

When I pinned the side panel to the bag I discovered the panel was too short.

<span class=

After checking the side and body pattern pieces, I figured out that I had cut the body for tote bag view "A", but had cut the side and bottom panels for view "B". I hadn't realized that view "B" was actually a smaller bag.

<span class=

Rather than make the bag smaller, I pieced another piece of fabric to the side panel to the needed length.

<span class=

That meant that I needed to piece the side panel of the lining also.

Lining

After the body of the bag and the lining were sewn together, I slipped the lining inside of the bag with the wrong sides together and basted the upper edges together.

<span class=

The pattern doesn't call for a lining, only a facing at the top of the bag. After adding the lining I finished the top edge of the bag with the facing securing it in place by stitching in the ditch on the right side of the bag.

<span class=

The inside has a pocket attached to the facing. I found an old sewing label of mine and stitched in onto the pocket completing the tote bag.

<span class=

Here is the side view.

<span class=

Here is a front view.
<span class=

I only hope that my swap partner will be happy with it. I certainly enjoyed sewing it with thoughts of spring dancing in my mind!

Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful! Thank you for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute looking bag! You'll swap partner will definitely love it!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin