Monday, January 01, 2007

McCalls's 5243 Retro Inspired Jacket

See? I don't only sew UFOs! But I have to admit that I was tempted to put this aside when I couldn't find buttons that I wanted to use. But knowing me I would have been digging it out in December 2007 and listing it as yet another UFO.

Instead, I added buttons that work. I plan on covering buttons and changing them out, but for now I can count this as done!

The collar on this one is great. I love how the tiny pleats cause it to stand up and frame the face. I used a home dec brocade remnant and that is why my version's collar has more body that the one photographed on the pattern cover.
I did a quick FBA to the jacket front using a method from Sandra Betzina's Fast Fit book. Basically it is just slicing the pattern, sliding it down, and taping it back together.

I completed the jacket today and used the buttonhole feature in my new Pfaff 2056. The buttonholes are beautiful and so easy! The only problem is that I sewed the first one on the wrong side of the jacket front. Oops! See, there is a reason you shouldn't sew when you have a head cold.

There's a full review of this jacket pattern on PatternReview. Pin It

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful! Don't forget to put this up on SewRetro too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Job! I love the fabric choice for that jacket - it makes it. Love your UFO collection too, it's manageable. Looking forward to watching you knock them down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your jacket is lovely - the fabric choice is perfect.

    Your list of UFOs made me giggle (and gasp) - dang, you sure do have alot of them! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful jacket. I love the fabric. I cant' get enough of this style... so glad it's carrying over into the spring!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin