Monday, January 01, 2007

Happy New Year!

Happy 2007!

How was your New Year's celebration? I hope you had a better time than I did as I rang in the new year with an unwanted visitor - a nasty ole' head cold. Ah well, look on the bright side - I didn't have to take a day off from work as the office was closed today anyway. And another bonus - we woke up to a beautiful covering of white snow (finally)!


I want to tell each and every one of you that stops by to read my blog that I appreciate that you allow me to share some of my life with you. Having this blog has helped me to be more focused on my sewing and has awakened my creativity. By allowing me to write about my sewing adventures you are helping me to grow.

Reading all of your blogs and comments has been a great encouragement for me. I have tried new new things, found new information, and learned techniques I may never have been exposed to. Isn't it exciting that technology has given us a way to meet each other virtually?

Whether or not you post a comment (and I really enjoy reading your comments!) I thank you for stopping by. I try and respond to your comments and one of my 2007 goals is to do a better job of that.


Although I haven't posted my 2007 sewing goals, I have begun work on them. One of the goals is to complete my UFOs that I shared with you previously.

I can already mark one off of my list! Simplicity4699, which only needed to be hemmed. There is only one button on the jacket and that is at the top by the collar. After hemming the jacket and sewing the button on, I realized that it needed something to help the facing lay flat.

I decided to top stitch the edge of the jacket to see if that would do the trick. I used a rayon thread in variegated blues and a decorative stitch on my new Pfaff 2056 (this machine is so much fun!). The jacket didn't need to fancy top stitching, I just wanted to try a new stitch on my new toy.
Knowing that I probably would not wear the button closed, I added a bead to the backside of the button so that the stitches from hand sewing the button on would not show. I can not remember where I read this tip! I'm certain it was on someone's sewing blog, so if you do know where that tip was located please leave a comment or send me an email so I can give credit for that great idea!


I also decided to add the tab to the back of the jacket. This is secured in place with two buttons. It adds a bit of visual interest to the back of an otherwise very plain jacket.


The jacket is now complete. I have one less UFO to do in 2007 and I have a spring jacket just awaiting the arrival of warm weather.

Pin It

3 comments:

  1. I want this jacket! it is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. debbie7:58 PM

    Love your jacket. How did you find the sizing? I have that pattern and flat measure makes me think it runs fairly small. BTW the little top in this pattern is one of my favorite tops for summer-beautiful waist and shoulder shaping (for me anyway!) and a much better look than a tank, IMHO.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Debbie - I didn't flat measure it before I cut it out and sewed it. However, I would agree that it does seem to run a bit smaller and has a narrower fit especially in the shoulder/bust area. I did do a FBA in the jacket. I tried the little top only once, but I didn't do a large enough FBA and it pulled at the bust. I plan on trying it again. And I agree that it is a much better look than a tank.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin