Sunday, January 21, 2007

Got an extra hour? Sew a knit top

Take one hour, combine it with 1-1/2 yards of knit fabric and Simplicity 4020 and you end up with a retro inspired dolman (or batwing) knit pullover top!

I was getting bored with working on my UFOs and the faux fur coat (which is probably why I end up with so many UFOs ...) so I decided to participate in the fabric stash reduction contest on PatternReview.

So I pulled out Simplicity 4020 and a bright red rayon/poly/Lycra purchased last year from Fabric.com and proceeded to whip up this top.

I did do an FBA to the top (well, kind of) since I wanted to make sure most of the fullness in the design remained. I added about 1-1/2" to the center front at the bottom and tapered to the original cutting line at the side seam.


The top was so quick and easy that I pulled out this lightweight sweater knit purchased from SR Harris and quickly sewed another one.


I loved this style when it was popular in the early 80s and I still like it. In fact, here I am circa 1980 (with my two adorable little ones) wearing one of my favorite sweaters. As you can see it is a very similar style. (And no, those are not food stains on the sweater :-) it is age spots on the photo.)
And see? I even sewed this style :-) I did own this pattern, Simplicity 5494, c. 1982, but of course it was tossed or given away years ago. I purchased off of eBay three years ago thinking I'd sew it again. Unfortunately I was unable to remove the smell from the pattern so I threw it away.
As you can see, it is pretty close to the new Simplicity 5494 - remove the sleeve, neck and bottom bands and its the same shape.


Full review is on PatternReview.
Pin It

3 comments:

  1. Saw your review at PR and wanted to see the '80's style pattern referenced.

    Top looks good on you. I have this in my stash, my give it try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute tops. Don't you just love quick and easy sometimes? I also have this in my stash and a few fabrics that would work with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the tops, but that pic of you & your kids from 80 is FAB!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin