Monday, January 08, 2007

First Sewing Lesson for a Beginning Sewer is Tonight!

I'm not sure who is more excited! Me or the young woman I'm going to begin to teach to sew!

This is one of those times where I wish I was a tad more organized and a linear-thinker. When it comes to creative stuff I'm not so good at the planning stage. I jump in and make it up as I go along.

So for tonight, instead of planning ahead what we'll cover I have a vague idea of what to discuss. She told me she has never used a sewing machine and suggested that she would like to start with a simple project - a pillowcase. Great idea as it will give me a chance to talk about grain lines and the importance of pressing, while she'll have a chance to practice sewing straight seams on a sewing machine and will have a completed item by the time the evening ends.

What I should be doing is setting up the machine, pulling fabric out of the stash for her to use and writing down the directions for a pillowcase. But what do I find myself doing? Telling all of you about the sewing lesson instead of actually preparing for it!

I'm off. First to finish dinner, next to prepare the sewing studio. I'll report back tomorrow about how much fun we had tonight ! Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Oh I've often thought about teaching beginners and would probably do it this year if I were not moving to a much smaller sewing space in June. I hope it all went really well for you - do let us know how it went!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, you reminded me of my first contact with a sewing machine (I was twelve)!! My parents have a dressmaker as a next door neighbour. My first glance at sewing was watching her for many hours... One day I asked her if she would teach me how to thread and use a sewing machine! I remember sitting there, barely reaching the pedal and having the time of my life sewing with no thread on a plaid scrap! She told me to practice like that first, just to feel the machine and learn how to sew a straight seam guided by the plaids! This was the beginning…

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin