Thursday, December 28, 2006

Sewing interrupted for National Chocolate Day

“I have this theory that chocolate slows down the aging process.... It may not be true, but do I dare take the chance?”- Unknown


Since today is National Chocolate Day, sewing has been interrupted while I take a few moments to share some thoughts on another passion of mine – chocolate.

Subconsciously I must have known today was a special chocolate day. When I got ready for work this morning I dressed head to toe in rich chocolate browns – a milk chocolate sweater paired with dark chocolate slacks and shoes, complimented with a creamy mixed chocolate beaded necklace.

Say the word chocolate to me and my mouth begins to water while visions of rich milk chocolate bars, creamy white chocolate pieces, steaming cups of hot chocolate, and gooey dark chocolate truffles run through my head. Mmmmmm.

What kind of chocolate do you like? Personally? I like it all – but I must admit dark chocolate is my least favorite. That works well in my household as my husband loves dark chocolate. He justifies eating dark chocolate by saying that it is good for you because it contains chemicals called favanols.

Indeed, research has shown that favanols reduce blood pressure and are good for blood flow.
“Chemically speaking, chocolate really is the world's perfect
food.” - Michael Levine, nutrition researcher, as quoted in The
Emperors of Chocolate: Inside the Secret World of Hershey and
Mars.

(By the way, if you haven’t read this book yet, check out a copy at your local library. It is a fascinating inside look at the world of chocolate producers.)

I tease my husband that he eats dark chocolate because of the FLAB-anols. I say that because if we don’t keep on a regular workout schedule our chocolate eating habits result in additional flab. (Ask me how I know!)

It’s a good thing he doesn’t tease me when he sees me indulging in this mouthwatering delight or I’d have to sneak chocolate into my sewing room to eat while he’s busy in another part of the house. (Not that I’ve ever done that mind you.)

Chocolate has even been featured in the movies - Chocolat. Who didn’t have visions of opening a chocolate store after seeing this movie? I know I did.

If you’re interested in whipping up a little chocolate delicacy to celebrate the day, try making a chocolate lava cake from chocoholic.com.

Or if that’s not to your liking, you’ll be sure to find the perfect chocolate recipe on this site, appropriately named Chocolate-Recipes.

Now if only there was a way you could virtually share your chocolate creations with me...


Happy Chocolate Day! Pin It

3 comments:

  1. Vicki3:12 PM

    National Chocolate Day! Oh, I must start celebrating NOW! Can't believe I missed this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, you saved me from the horror of missing this holiday! ;D Must hit the kids stockings for a fix RIGHT NOW.

    I see several UFO's I recognize from my own stash, LOL. Great minds!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:05 PM

    National Chocolate Day - I am running out to buy Dove Milk with Almonds...aahh since it's a holiday I will buy Dove Dark too for my hubby!!! YUM

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin