Sunday, November 05, 2006

Finding time to sew in life's busyness

This past week has been incredibly busy and finding the time to sew has been next to impossible.

Because my time for sewing was so limited, I decided to work on something that would be easy and fairly quick to complete. Something that could be worked on in 15 to 20 minute increments. Something that I would quickly see the progress on.


I decided on Vogue 2934 - one of the new Vintage Vogue patterns - after falling in love with the fabric the jacket is made out of in the December 2006/January 2007 issue of Sewing Today's Vogue Patterns.

The 1950 design is described as a "lined jacket, slightly below waist, with a straight front and flared back, funnel neckline and three-quarter dolman sleeves with deep cuffs." Before spending a fair amount of money on a one-of-kind fabric such as the one pictured above, I wanted to make sure the pattern would work for me. I had a piece of textured black wool coating in my stash that was 60" wide, but less than 2 yards in length - perfect for this jacket!

So all week, whenever I had a chance to grab 15 minutes to 1/2 hour in the sewing room I've been working on the jacket. There are few pattern pieces - front, back, front facing, back facing, cuffs and separate lining pieces.

So far, I've sewn the body of the jacket, added the sewn-in interfacing, the lining and hand sewn the hem of the jacket. I've got the lining laid out on my cutting table with plans on cutting it out tonight, sewing the lining together tomorrow, sewing the lining in the jacket the next, and adding the frog closures the day after that.

Pin It

1 comment:

  1. Tell me about all of the goings on that prevent you from crafting! Love the jacket, looking great!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin