Saturday, November 25, 2006

Felt Flowers from Threads Magazine #128

I've been enjoying the Quick to Make sections that have been in some of the recent Threads magazine issues. This past summer I sewed the two hour skirt and I planned on making the obi-inspired wrap (Threads #126) after seeing this one on the SewStylish blog.

When I picked up a copy of the latest Threads issue (January 2007 #128) the pins on the front cover caught my attention. The vintage-fabric flower pins were the perfect way to use the nine 7" x 14" pieces of vintage kimono I had purchased years ago from Ah Kimono.

The flower pins are made from wool felt, scraps of fabric, and HeatnBond . Each one took me about 45 minutes to complete, however if you set up an assembly line production they could be completed much quicker. I did find that I needed to trim the felt pieces after fusing on the fabric pieces as I wasn't always accurate with my cutting and fusing.

  • Enlarge the pattern in the magazine by 200 percent. I didn't have a copier handy so I scanned the page at 200 percent and printed out the pattern pieces.
  • Trace the wool flower piece onto the wool felt and cut out. I didn't have 100 percent wool felt so I purchased a 30 percent wool blend felt from Joann's. I found it easier to trace the shape and cut it out versus pinning the pattern piece to the felt and cutting it out.
  • Iron HeatnBond to the back of the kimono fabric. Trace the flower onto the back of the fused fabric and cut out. Peel the backing off of the kimono flower, place onto the wool pieces and fuse together.

  • Fold each flower in half and stitch about 1" to 1-1/2" to form a slight fold. This adds dimension to the flower. I found it easier to stitch this on my machine than by hand.

  • Place all three pieces together - bottom flower, top flower, and circle - until you find the combination that is most pleasing to you.

  • Sew the center circle to the flower shapes, stitching through all three layers to secure them in place. This time I hand sewed rather than used my sewing machine.

  • The next to last step is to sew the felt backing piece onto the back of the pin covering up all of the stitches. Finally a pin is sewn to the back and you're done!
  • Only a few hours of work and I have three gifts completed (and one for myself!)
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin