Sunday, November 12, 2006

Fabric purchases from Vogue Fabrics

The Original Sewing & Quilt Expo is over for this year. I was waiting to post my purchases from Vogue Fabrics as I had been eyeing one more piece of fabric. I decided against the fabric and used the money elsewhere. I said I would share my purchases with you and here they are:
This black and white rayon challis print was purchased to make a dress using Vogue 8315. I originally thought I would add the underlayer with the wide lace trim, but I'm not sure I want to wear two layers of skirt. Although I wear a slip with everything so I guess there isn't much of a difference.

I found this bold print in their "precut/premarked" section. It must be their remnants as the prices were less than the bolt prices. This piece, while very bold, caught my eye. It is vivid red flowers outlined in black on a silver background. It is a woven, with a touch of lycra, 2-3/4 yard and 60" wide. I purchased it to make another jean style jacket but decided to make a long sleeve version of this Thread's pattern - Simplicity 4171. I made a muslin this past summer so I know that I like the fit of the dress. Maybe by making a dress, I'll break away from the black pant/black tee/colorful jacket uniform I seem to have given myself as a work wardrobe.

This variegated blue lightweight sweater knit will become this Burda knit top.

I really like the lines of this McCall's jacket (5242). The fabric I purchased is a chocolate brown with slight black woven through it. This also has some lycra in it.
This remnant will be a fun cowl-neck tee that I will probably wear during the holiday season. I plan on using McCalls 4716.
These fabric were purchased without anything specific in mind. I purchased the black/grey floral pattern (on the left) thinking that I'd make a jacket, but now I'm not sure. Its one of those fabrics that either side could be the "right" side, so I'd like to do something that plays on that. The tan/black large floral is a knit that I may save for Butterick 4914 - a Maggy London mock wrap dress. The pink floral knit - I have no idea. It was another remnant that I thought would look good with khaki pants or jeans. Maybe I'll try Vogue 8323, a tee pattern that has princess seams.

And last, but not least, I purchased this bold purple/black graphic print peachskin to make a blouse. But I need some opinions. I know I want to make a blouse, but I don't know which pattern to use. Possibly Sewing Workshop's Salsa blouse or maybe McCall's 4921. Or perhaps I should scrap the blouse idea and make a dress? Any comments on what pattern to use for this purple print would be appreciated.

Back to the expo...I had been whining a bit in a previous post about my disappointment over the lack of sewing related vendors - specifically garment sewing. When I was reading the blog Snippets from Chaos , I read some of the same comments I heard from many of the women I spoke to while I was at the expo. Hopefully the event organizers will listen to us and try and woo some of the independent pattern companies back to the expo as well as the button/fabric/embellishment vendors. Not all of us quilt and sew in this part of the country. It could become a viscous cycle - sewers will not attend because the vendors they want are not there, and vendors will not attend because they don't get the sales they need to make the trip profitable. My fear is that if that happens, Minneapolis will be a city that this expo no longer makes an appearance at.

And one last expo note...the "Knocking It Off: Gorgeous Gowns From the Silver Screen" with Jim Suzio of Husqvarna Viking was fantastic!

Pin It

5 comments:

  1. I love your new fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:35 PM

    Have fun sewing up your new fabrics! I didn't see some of those that you purchased - I really like the black and white!

    I am mostly disappointed that what was at the expo was no where near the usual quality or quantity of vendors seen in past years. I miss the Threads Challenge (where was Threads this year?). The Fashion show had garments I have seen each of the last three or 4 years, where is the new stuff (OK, there were some new garments). I suppose it will help to tell the Expo people...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the synopsis on the Expo. I thoroughly enjoyed your thoughts and comments. Re: fabric--I especially like the red flowers and the purple geometric.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm thinking the Salsa blouse. The other pattern is darn cute, but I am afraid the cut and detail may interrupt the pattern of that great fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sewcrazy - You're right! I had forgotten that Threads wasn't there this year. I miss that Threads challenge.

    Patsijean - I was leaning towards the Salsa blouse for the same reason, but I really wanted to know what others thought. Thanks for the feedback!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin