Thursday, October 12, 2006

Fabric shopping at SR Harris Fabric Outlet

Since I'm still on vacation, I can do what I want with my time right? I decided to visit SR Harris Fabric Outlet, one of my favorite fabric stores. It is filled floor to ceiling with silks and wools and rayons and cottons and knits and home decorating fabrics and trims and ... well you get the picture.

This time I thought I'd try something different - I purchased fabric with specific patterns in mind. Sounds simple enough, but I tend to get carried away by the colors and textures of fabrics and purchase material that I end up never using.

For this retro jacket from Simplicity 4047, I purchased a lightweight black and white small houndstooth wool. I have red wool in my stash to make the pencil skirt to coordinate with the jacket.







For the retro jacket and pants from Simplicity 4044, I purchased a lightweight grey wool check. The lines on the grey are a deep purple and a lavender. The pant material is a deep purple wool.







I purchased a black woven stretch fabric with a white dot to make the suit for Simplicity 3962. I think I will need to tone it down with some solid black as a contrast as it is hard on this fabric is hard on the eye after awhile.







This colorful print is destined to become a dress and sash from Simplicity 4074. The hand and drape of this fabric is wonderful.













This knit has a white background with black, taupe and pink squares. It seemed very retro to me so I think I may use it for this retro Vogue 4074 Diane Von Furstenberg dress. Or maybe a wrap dress; I haven't decided yet.







These colorful knits will be used for the faux wrap top from Simplicity 4076 and Vogue 8181 (Sandra Betzina's tee - one of my favorites).










The photo doesn't do justice to this unique knit. It is a blue mesh with ribbon flowers sewn onto a white background. I purchased it with the thought of making the Sewing Workshop Teagarden T, but it may not have enough stretch.






For Kwik Sew 3434, I purchased two lightweight knits. The one on the left is pink and brown art deco floral print and the right is a grey speckled with black. I made the sleeveless version when the pattern was first released so I know these will take only about two hours each to complete.








Another retro pattern I plan to sew is Simplicity 4081. I found this beautiful deep wine no wale corduroy (with stretch) to use for the jacket pictured in the upper right corner.







I only came home with one piece of fabric that I don't know what I'm going to use it for. I purchased four yards of a heavier chocolate brown rayon/poly/lycra knit. I just couldn't resist. I'm sure I can figure out what to do with it my the time I get all of these other projects completed!




Pin It

3 comments:

  1. I wish I could have gone fabric shopping with you - you got some fantastic pieces. And I love what you're going to make with them. Which one are you going to start first?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What great fabric buys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what great fabrics you got. I have to say I am more than a little jealous that you have such a great fabric source nearby. You are so lucky. Can't wait to see the finished products.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin