Sunday, September 10, 2006

A peek inside my sewing room - then and now

I really enjoy seeing how other people set up their sewing spaces, so I thought I'd share mine. Over the years, my sewing space has grown from a corner in a tiny rented apartment dining room to an entire room in our house.

As I was sorting through photographs for a scrapbook project, I came across this one, from 1981, of my apartment sewing space. I may not have had much room, but you can see I already had begun learning the fine art of stashing fabric! I sure wish I would have kept that old green Kenmore...

Over the years, the stash has grown as well as the space allocated to sewing. Right now, I'm so blessed to have an entire spare bedroom in our home that I am able to use as a sewing room.


A few years ago my husband surprised me with a Koala cabinet for my sewing machine (an Elna 8000) as well as a serger (another Elna). Last year he surprised me with a fold down cutting table. When I needed more light in the room, he installed a new fixture with bright, daylight bulbs. They are wonderful for sewing in the evening and during the winter months when daylight is long gone before I make it home from work. He's a super awesome hubby!

The room also holds my sewing books and Threads magazines. I have a small collection of cute little dress forms as well as my grandmother's sewing machine (that I don't recall ever seeing her use.) Maybe another day I'll be brave enough to show the other side of the room - the one with the closet overflowing with too much fabric.



Pin It

7 comments:

  1. All that and it is so tidy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Sharon, you are so organized! I am completely overhauling my sewing room. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so envious of your sewing room! It looks so neat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw shucks - thanks for the nice comments. You do realize that I didn't post a photo of the other side of the room - the side with the messy stash hidden behind closet doors!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sharon ~ ohmygosh! I had the same green Kenmore sewing machine in the exact same cabinet!!!! I, too, am sorry that I gave it away. I didn't realize its true value at the time I was lusting for another sm with more stitches and bells 'n whistles. Thanks for the tour of your sewing room. It is light, airy and pretty and as for that stash issue...all of us have it! *LOL* Thanks for sharing pictures of yours!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your room, it is so nice and bright in there. Mine is too dark and sometimes it is hard to see the details of what I'm doing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember in college when I would cut out patterns on my bed or in the hall and my computer shared a desk with my sewing machine. I love love love that photo of you. I wish I had one with my first machine.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin