I used the same fabric as the jacket - a lightweight black wool with some lycra. However, I was short fabric as the skirt calls for 1-1/2 yards of 60" wide fabric (size 14) and I barely had 1-1/4 yards left after cutting out the jacket. This was before I knew the jacket would become a potential wadder and I really wanted the two pieces cut from the same piece of cloth. The solution? I shortened the center back and side back pieces by 3". On the side back piece I was able to curve the hem back to the original cutting line. This meant I did not have to shorten the skirt in the front.
As you can see, from the front this is a plain looking slightly a-line skirt.
From the side, you can see that the dramatic contrast in hem lengths is not as evident as on the pattern envelope.
And finally, as much as I dread posting my rear on the Internet, here is the back view of the skirt so the seam can be seen. It's great to walk in as it swishes behind you! The horizontal lines across the back hip are from the tee-shirt I tucked in. I can see that I will need to be careful what I wear with the skirt.
This pattern is rated as easy and I would agree with it. The front piece is cut on the bias and the two back pieces as well as the two lining pieces are not. That's it - three pattern pieces for the skirt and two pattern pieces for the lining. The back panel is just a curved princess seam. I put in an invisible zipper and finished the waist edge per the instructions. The next time, I will sew the waist treatment differently. The instructions have the waist edge finished with the lining, which is a problem as the lining wants to slip up over the waist edge when you wear the skirt. In fact, I plan on removing the lining and adding a narrow waistband.
So, the jacket was a bust. At least for now. I just don't feel like tackling the recutting at the moment. But the skirt was a winner. Pin It