Friday, July 14, 2006

"Yummy to the Tummy" Strawberry Chicken Salad

I know this doesn't have anything to do with sewing. However, it does have something to do with scrapbooking, and in my previous post I showed the relationship between sewing and scrapbooking. (So in a way this does have something to do with sewing!) I'm creating a scrapbook of family recipes to give to all of my family members. I think that food connects us together in much the same way that stitches connect pieces of fabric together. There's a bond that is created that takes a conscience effort to undo.

Now I don't know about you, but when the weather is hot, hot, hot (mid 90s today) I don't feel like eating much for dinner. And I certainly don't want make anything that involves turning the oven on. And I want something that I can prepare quickly because I'm an impatient cook (and hungry when I get home from work.)

This is my all time favorite summer time salad. Using one of my grandmother's famous family sayings " it's yummy to the tummy!"




I found the recipe about 10 years ago, although I don't recall where I found it. I suspect it must have been in a newspaper or magazine since it is written on a recipe card.

These are the ingredients you will need for two very generous servings:
Dressing
  • 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 2 tsp. chopped garlic
  • 2 tbsp. soy sauce
  • 2 tsp. chopped fresh ginger (dry will do if that's what you have on hand, but the fresh ginger really adds to the taste!)
  • 1/4 tsp. black pepper

Salad

  • mixed salad greens (your choice)
  • 2 oz. oil-butter blend (equal parts butter and oil)
  • 8 oz. chicken breast strips (more or less depending on your personal preference)
  • 12 - 15 strawberries, halved or sliced

Making the salad

  • Blend all of the dressing ingredients together and set aside.
  • Place the mixed salad greens on your serving plate and set aside.
  • In a saute pan heat oil-butter blend
  • Add chicken strips and saute until all sides are brown.
  • Add 2 oz. of the dressing and simmer for one minute (the dressing will begin to carmalize)

  • Add the prepared strawberries and heat slightly (one minute or less or the strawberries will become mushy)
  • Pour the chicken and strawberries over the mixed salad greens
  • Sprinkle with walnuts
  • Garnish with one or two fresh strawberries
  • Serve to a chorus of ooohs and aaahs

A 30 minute meal that will allow you more time for sewing!

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin