Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Summer Jacket from cotton eyelet fabric

Why do business have the air conditioning turned down so low during the summer months! It makes it necessary to have a jacket or sweater (or a wool blanket) with you at all times. With that in mind, I picked up a cute, cheap little unlined jacket at a discount store a few weeks ago. It was a simple shape, a bit boxy, and made out of a lightweight, black cotton with black cotton edging around the neckline, front jacket edges and hemline. It had a simple satin ribbon closure. It is the perfect little summer jacket to keep around. I was wishing I had grabbed one in white also.

Since I didn't, I figured I could easily copy the jacket and make one out of a white eyelet. Off to the fabric store to buy a few yards of basic white eyelet fabric. But wait! They have patterns on sale...I better look because one never knows when the perfect pattern might be waiting to be purchased. Only to be brought home and stored in one of the many boxes I already have sitting around that contain the hundreds of patterns I already own. I admit - I'm a a secret pattern hoarder. Well, I didn't find any I wanted from the patterns that were on sale, but this New Look pattern caught my eye. First of all because it was made up in white eyelet - just like the jacket I wanted to make - and secondly I liked the princess seams in the jacket, along with the slight ruffle at the hem. Plus, no buttons - just a simple tie closure. Perfect! I'd much rather sew from a pre-made pattern than do my own.

As I was sewing my new summer jacket, I was reminded of a simple, white eyelet jacket I made back in the late 1970's or early 1980's. I even kept the pattern because I loved the jacket so much! Vogue 2687, a Vogue Basic Design pattern, for a jacket, pullover blouse, cami, pants and gathered skirt. I made every single item from this pattern, but the jacket was by far my favorite. I wore it for almost 15 years - I had to throw it away because the fabric eventually wore out.

Maybe this new jacket will enjoy at least half as many years as the previous one.
Pin It

1 comment:

  1. There are varieties of jackets that you can make to give your attire a stylish and trendy look. Jackets always remain in trend. Amazed to know how many years you used the jacket.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin