Oh darn, that meant I had to go fabric shopping...
Off I went to my favorite fabric stores. I purchased black ITY knit from Hancock Fabrics and a mesh print from SR Harris Fabrics and promptly set about recreating the tunic.
Life got in the way, as it frequently does, and the fabric sat for a few months. Lucky for me because during that time Simplicity came out with a tunic with a large cowl and contrast sleeve bands eerily similar to the tunic I wanted to recreate. Whoop! I didn't even have to think about what pattern to use.
But it kinda made for a cute photo when I tried.
First of all, it was a quick sew. Which seems to be my sewing theme this past year.
I didn't make any alterations to the pattern, just cut it out and stitched it together. I cut and sewed my usual size and found the tunic has quite a bit of ease.
The sleeves are sewn in the round since the sleeve band is added to the lower edge of the sleeve after the sleeve seams are sewn.
The cowl is the last piece added. You're instructed to pin the cowl to the neck edge of the right side of the tunic and stitch twice. First in a 5/8" seam, and again 1/4" away from the first stitching. I was afraid that seam might show (it doesn't) so I stitched the cowl to the tunic using a French seam.
The pattern sheet includes instruction for a lettuce edge hem as an option.
All in all I like the tunic. This one turned out as I envisioned and I'll likely sew another. Pin It